Disclaimer: I do not know which items are spoilers anymore because my boundaries have been blurred since I started reading A Song of Ice and Fire.
I haven’t really watched Game of Thrones season 2 for the sole purpose of a dvd marathon on a weekend. So far, HBO has released Episode 9, Blackwater and next week is the season finale (Valar Morghulis) which I’m really excited about. HBO Asia is way too late in premiering season 2 and I think it has only been episode 4 on cable. Plus they really cut a lot of sexy scenes which would have been crucial in the story line because the series is notorious for employing sexpositions (You know? Narrating with fan service on the side like that of Theon’s scene in the ship deck).
After season finale, I’ll be watching all of ten episodes in one day that my head would be soaked with intrigue, deceit, love, war, gore, and snow. There is also a smug part of me that knows what will happen because I’m done with book 2, A Clash of Kings and book 3, A Storm of Swords. But, it’s an adaptation and it can go anywhere. Weiss and Benioff are free to add depth to it.
I know snippets of what happens in the adaptation because of Youtube, Twitter and my friend, Franze. It seemed though that season 2 already foreshadowed a lot of events that would occur in season 3 (based on the third book, A Storm of Swords). I resolved not to be so uptight about the minute details and enjoy the pretty faces of Kit Harington, Richard Madden, Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner.
I’ve read somewhere that the creators might split A Storm of Swords into seasons 3 and 4 because of the sheer length of the book. Good luck with waiting in between seasons. I cry when I think of it.
Here are some of the things that should have happened in season 3 and 4 but the creators deemed important to give more depth to this season:
- Talisa and Robb’s sexual tension. My wild guess is: She is Jeyne Westerling in disguise, Robb’s would-be queen. As far as I know, their sexy time was shown in the 8th episode or something. A bit of a trivia for you, Oonah Chaplin, who plays Talisa, is Charlie Chaplin’s granddaughter. I’m not shitting you.
- The start of Jaime’s heel-face turn because of Brienne.
- The Rains of Castamere will début this season. Watch out for its significance next season.
- Jon and Ygritte’s sexual tension. I’m not sure if they’ll have their own sexy time before season finale but what I know is that they have several on book 3 (=season 3)
Some of the things missing in the series from what I’ve gathered:
- No Jojen and Meera Reed. How the fuck can Osha help Bran get to the Children of the Forest and the Three Eyed Crow?
- Rickon should be put on a bus. GRRM hasn’t written one shit about him from books 3-5, why should he have more screen time?
- Silver. Killed off in the adaptation. Bad call, guys. Silver should be present in Dany’s crowning moment of awesome in Astapor (season 3=book 3).
- Arya being made Tywin Lannister’s cup-bearer in Harrenhal instead of Roose Bolton’s. It made the story simpler but I think they have to give Bolton more screen time to foreshadow his evil importance next season.
One more thing I’m excited about is Tyrion’s nose– the lack of it by season finale. How would Peter Dinklage look like?
I know, I know, spoilers much. Get off my back. I live and breathe spoilers.